Monday, January 4, 2010

my first (and best) tip for traveling...

WELCOME TO MY TRAVEL BLOG!
so within this blog i will post many tips that i have learned over the years which will make traveling fun, safe and affordable. please make sure to comment and let me know how they work out for you, as well as any thoughts that you may have on things.
-
TIP #1
an organized adventure allows for maximizing the good times!

ALWAYS DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Find out what are the highlights of the city, and choose exactly what it is that you want to do. With Frommer's, Lonely Planet and more, you can easily make the most out of any vacation, from a weekend getaway up the coast to a two week honeymoon excursion in the Maldives.

On a recent trip to New York City, I utilized the internet, friends recommendations and the Travel Channel to make an itinerary for a 3 day getaway. I made sure to allow myself plenty of time for the notorious New York traffic, and plenty of time to just explore. With careful planning I was able to do everything that I wanted to do: I hit Times Square, did a play on Broadway (Phantom), enjoyed a pretty good bagel, had a slice of the famous Ray's pizza (pretty good but not close to Chicago deep dish), attended the NBA draft, went to the top of the Empire State Building, took a cruise around Manhattan, saw the Statue of Liberty, and attended a Mets game. I have no doubt in my mind that there simply would have been no way to do all of these things in a calm, and fun, manner without careful strategic planning. Though it may not seem fun to map out each vacation day hour by hour, it's even less fun to miss out on great places and adventures due to poor planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment