Monday, January 4, 2010

secret places - #1

Many times when traveling, we find ourselves off the beaten path and stumbling onto our own little pockets of paradise. Whether its a hidden cove, a refreshing spring, a fantastic hidden restaurant or even just a bench with a killer view, it is these small surprises that make a getaway go from good to amazing.

In Atlanta, I have discovered several of these little places, and I will share one with you today.

Atlanta is a a microcosm of our United States. From hustling and bustling downtown Atlanta to the tranquil expanses of Suwanee, the region offers the best of a fast paced city life with an available option of country living. One of the best kept secrets of the Peachtree city is a Japanese steak and sushi restaurant nestled in Dunwoody, just north of downtown (there is also a branch in Norcross). The Happy Sumo is found in a small shopping complex, surrounded by the likes of an LA Fitness gym, a multi-screen movie theater and the hallmark of the south: Chick-Fil-A.

The first time I checked out The Happy Sumo I was exploring the area, waiting for the start of a movie (though I don't remember what it was, I do remember it was quite bad). I was on a bit of a health kick, so I decided I would try the funky little sushi place that stuck out like a sore thumb.

From the friendly, ethnic waitstaff to the eclectic decorum (including a japanese drum that all patrons are encouraged to strike as they leave after completing their meal), walking into The Happy Sumo is a a feast for your senses; with a well placed trip to the sushi bar, a feast for your pallet is soon to follow. I highly recommend the spider roll, as well as an order of the volcano roll, coupled with a nice big bottle of Kirin Light. The sushi chefs are authentic, quick and hard working. Don't forget to save a few dollars to tip them directly at the bar!

After stumbling onto The Happy Sumo in Dunwoody, I couldn't help but to make it one of my regular places to eat while in Atlanta. The sushi is incredible, the staff is extremely friendly, and the beer is ice cold, perfect to offset the city of "Hotlanta."

http://www.happysumorest.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment