Friday, January 8, 2010

travel tip #3 too busy to get away? think again!

As we get older and responsibilities seem to stack up (kids/job/pets/bills/etc.), traveling and seeing what's out there in the world seems to be dropped to the bottom of our priority list.How many times have you looked at your loved ones and said to yourself that you wish you had more time to explore? Or how many times have you said, I wish I just had more money set aside to take a vacation? Too many times!

Well, this brings me to travel tip #3, take a local vacation (aka staycation).

When you factor in plane tickets, a hotel room, rental car and so on, a vacation can cost a pretty penny. Even with utilizing an all inclusive resort (see travel tip #2), for a family - or even a couple - it may take quite a bit of cash to get away.

Using your vacation time, or even just your weekends, to take small trips to local points of interest can be a rewarding, affordable way to get out there and see the world. You can stay at home at night, use your car and see places that you didn't even know existed, all while saving a pretty penny. In every city there are places to see, and things to do that you would never stumble upon unless you give yourself the chance to. Even venturing an hour or two away from home can bring you to a whole different environment, with incredibly different people.

Because I grew up in greater Los Angeles, the idea that you could jump in a car and drive from state to state in less than 90 minutes really blew my mind. I decided that during my last year living in Atlanta, I would make the most of it. Every weekend I planned mini-trips, going to places like Auburn, Alabama and Clemson, South Carolina (each under a three hour round trip from my condo), along with little exploratory excursions to the mini-cities that make up the greater Atlanta region. From Buckhead to Little Five Points to Lake Oconee, I was able to see and experiences things that I didn't even know existed all without breaking the bank.

To make the most of your staycation, utilize the best of what the web has to offer. Frommers, Lonely Planet, GoogleMaps and the recommendations of friends and family will get you going to enjoy all that your region has to offer.

If you have any staycations that you want to share, please do so below in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment